Cheesy Veggie Bake with Crispy Oat Topping
[image: a pie with a lattice top and filled with a dark red filling.]
2 Tbsp vegan buttery spread, softened
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup sugar, organic *
1 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot powder (the more natural version of corn starch)
2 Tbsp lime juice + pinch of zest
3 cups fresh blackberries
2 cups fresh strawberries
1 pie crust – vegan pie crust recipe on Healthy. Happy. Life.
spelt flour crust was used in the photos
*Tip: for vegan dessert recipes use organic sugar – find out why in this quick tip video on Healthy Happy Life
*prepare your crust according to recipe, link above – or pull a pre-made crust.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Add all the filling ingredients to a large bowl. Toss well. Allow to sit for a few minutes while you work on your crust.
3. Roll out dough – use two separate balls of pre-made crusts for a lattice design.
4. Pour filling into bottom layer crust.
5. Roll out second ball and slice into thin strips – you can do this using a pre-made crust as well.
6. Apple top layer crust strips in a lattice design.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Then turn heat down to 350 and bake for another 20-30 minutes. If the crust starts to burn, ass foil to the edges.
Allow at least 3 hours for pie to cool before serving. Store in the fridge.
[image: creamy soup in a bread bowl with a green garnish.]
Vegan Ivar’s Clam Chowder
4 cups vegetable stock
2 tbsp lemon juice1 pound coarsely grated white mushrooms
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely diced celery
2 cups finely diced potatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped Smart Bacon3/4 cup vegan margarine (Earth/Smart Balance)
3/4 cup flour
3 cups unsweetened soy milk, warmed
1 cup non-dairy plain creamer1 teaspoon salt, to taste
1 dash pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder1/2 teaspoon sugar
- In a medium saucepan, combine vegetable stock with the lemon juice, mushrooms, onions, celery, Smart Bacon and potatoes.
- Simmer, covered, over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt the margarine.
- Add flour and stir in to the margarine.
- Slowly whisk in the warm soy milk and creamer.
- Cook and whisk until smooth and thick, about 5 minutes.
- If you want a thinner chowder, add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water or vegetable stock.
- Combine the vegetables with their cooking liquid, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and sugar to the pan.
- Stir well and adjust the seasonings if necessary.