[image: a browned casserole topped with herbs.]
Vegan Creamy Potato Bake
1 kg potatoes, peeled and sliced (1 cm width)
1 lg onions, thinly sliced (still round)
400g silken tofu
1 cup blanched almonds (soaked in water for 30-60 mins, then drained)
1 clove garlic, crushed
4 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp arrowroot
Pinch of nutmeg
1 1/2 cups almond milk
2 tbsp chopped dill
1/3 cup capers
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Combine the the almonds, garlic, lemon juice and 1/2 cup almond milk in a food processor. Process until smooth and the almonds aren’t gritty.
3. Add the tofu, salt, nutmeg, arrowroot and the rest of the almond milk. Process to form a smooth creamy sauce.
4. Layer half the sliced potatoes on the bottom of a large baking dish. Top this with a layer of the sliced onions.
5. Sprinkle the capers and the chopped dill over the top of the onions. Layer the remaining potatoes over the top.
6. Pour the creamy sauce over the top of all of it, covering all the potato evenly.
7. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender to pierce.
8. Remove the foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the top is browned (if you have an oven with elements that separate then you may wish to switch it to a “top-only” setting to aid this). Serve.
Serves 4, or 6 as a side dish. Perfect to bring to a family gathering or a potluck!