Makes 4 to 6 burgers
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons canola oil plus extra for the grill
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup fire-roasted diced tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- 4 to 6 whole grain hamburger buns, toasted
- Sliced avocados
- In a food processor, combine beans, oil, bread crumbs, and cornmeal. Pulse to chop.
- Add onion, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, and chile powder. Pulse until well-combined.
- Form mixture into 4 to 6 patties. Set on a plate and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium. Brush grill grate with oil.
- Grill patties until browned and heated through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Serve patties on toasted buns with avocado and salsa.